International Registration Plan: Everything You Need to Know About IRP
IRP stands for international registration plan. The main purpose of the international registration plan is to facilitate and promote interstate commerce in the country.
IRP designated to encourage maximum use of the highway system and to allow motor carriers to commute through all jurisdictions that are members of the international registration plan.
There are several questions, concepts, and definitions about the IRP. Let’s have a look at them:
1. What Is An IRP Account Number?
You get your IRP account number when you register your commercial truck and start paying the fees in every state through which your automobile runs.
The amount to be paid is calculated based on the miles you operate in every state. When your automobile gets registered, you are issued an IRP account number.
2. What Is The International Registration Plan (IRP) In Trucking?
The international registration plans are defined as an option. Commercial vehicle operators can use this option to register their commercial vehicles and operate legally and freely across interstate borders without any other additional permits.
3. How To Find My International Registration Plan?
First, you will have to find the home location of the company. You can contact the headquarters of the company to find out their local state.
- Contact the vehicle services division of the state. Get the vehicle information request form. Every jurisdiction assigns an IRP account number but they are not public knowledge.
- You’ll have to make sure that you meet all the legal requirements before you request any information
- You will also have to clarify the reason for which you are requesting the IRP number.
- The next step is to submit the vehicle information request form. The mailing address will be on the form itself. You must include the payment for the same or make it through credit card or debit card or as the applicable directions say.
4. What Is The International Registration Plan For?
To understand it better, the international registration plan is to promote interstate operations by commercial vehicle carriers and owners.
It allows the carrier to operate under a single registration plate and registration certificate which is also a called cab card usually issued by the base state of the vehicle.
5. When Do You Renew Your IRP?
You must renew it before March 31st, 2022. If you haven’t done that already, get in touch with your third-party administrator right away.
If you are a driver of any commercial vehicle whose registration has expired, you might be subject to arrest after March 31st, 2022.
6. How To Renew IRP?
If you are an e-file user, you can do this by requesting an online process of renewal. This is the fastest way to do it.
As an alternative and to save a lot more of your time, you can get in touch with your third-party administrator. They will do the needful without you having to stress over it even a bit.
7. What Vehicles Are Exempt From IRP?
There are a few vehicles that are exempt from the IRP requirement. Government vehicles and school buses the government owns or are on a long-term lease and comes with the option to purchase are exempt (other government vehicles are not).
Recreation vehicles are also exempt. Vehicles that display restricted tags are also exempt.
8. What Is The Primary Purpose Of The IRP Today?
The IRP is used to recognize the registration of commercial vehicles. These commercial vehicles are registered by other jurisdictions.
If you are enrolled in the IRP program, then it is easy for you to pay your apportioned licensing fees. That is calculated based on the miles you have travelled across every jurisdiction.
As an interstate motor carrier, you can register in your base jurisdiction or your home state.
9. Who Needs To Register With International Registration Plan (IRP)?
If you drive a commercial vehicle (with 3 or more axles) that has a weight of more than 26,000 lbs and you intend to cross state lines, you have to register for an IRP account.
10. What Are The Requirements For An IRP?
If you drive an apportionable vehicle, you must register it under the IRP. This is a vehicle that is meant for use in two or more member jurisdictions
The vehicle will use to transport persons or designed for the transportation of property and will have the following characteristics:
- Minimum 2 axels and a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 26000 LBS.
- Has minimum 3 axles or more with the gross vehicle weight rating being irrelevant.
- The vehicle used in combination with any other setup, and the total weight is more than 26,000 lbs.
- There are exceptions to it as well and they include recreational vehicles, government-owned vehicles, and vehicles that display restricted plates.
11. How Much Does IRP Registration Cost?
Get in touch with DOT Compliance Group to know the latest IRP costs. It is usually for the number of months that are between the application and expiration date.
12. What Is An Apportioned License Plate
An apportioned license plate is simply a registration plan that allows you to travel for interstate commerce across state lines. You do not have to bear the expense of purchasing trip permits when you have this kind of license plate.
13. Where To Send Texas International Registration Plan Renewal Application?
You can mail the necessary documents to the Taxes Department Of Motor Vehicles, Motor Carrier Division IRP Renewal, P.O. Box 26440, Austin, TX 78755-0440, or DOT Compliance Group can help you with the renewal of IRP. You can call on 855-368-7233 to know more.